- Years of issue – 1939 – 1944
- In total, 1193 units were produced.
- Caliber – 75 mm
- Weight in firing position – 750 kg
- Barrel length – 1455 mm
- Threaded length – 972 mm
- Calculation – 6 people
- Travel speed – up to 35 km / h
- Rate of fire – 6 rds / min
- The greatest firing range – 9250 m
- Direct shot range – no data
- Shooting angles:
- Horizontal – 40 °
- Vertical – 2 ° + 70 °
By the beginning of World War II, on September 1, 1939, the Wehrmacht had 254 mountain guns of 75 mm caliber. The overwhelming majority of them belonged to the type of mountain guns sample 15 (Geb.G.15) developed by Skoda, and these were obsolete guns that were used by the Kaiser’s army during the First World War. There was also a very small number of the same old mountain guns Sample 14 (Geb.G.14) from Krupp AG.
Attempts to modernize the artillery park of mountain rifle units have been made in Germany since the mid-1930s. In particular, in 1935, Rheinmetall-Borsig AG began work on the creation of a new 75-mm mountain gun with improved ballistic data. It was adopted by the Wehrmacht mountain rifle units in 1938 under the designation “75-mm mountain gun sample 36” (7.5 cm Geb.G.36). This weapon was intended to support the actions of mountain shooters in highly rugged terrain. However, due to the lengthy refinement, both of the design of the gun itself, and due to the establishment of its production, this weapon began to enter the troops only after the end of the French campaign of 1940.
The German 75-mm mountain gun sample 36 of the system was a classic-type weapon with a sliding frame. The barrel of the gun consisted of a monoblock pipe and a breech. The pipe was inserted into the breech from above, and the wedge-shaped protrusions on the breech of the pipe entered the corresponding sockets of the breech. A plate mounted on the top of the breech held the barrel tube in place. A multi-slot muzzle brake was mounted on the barrel. The shutter is horizontal wedge. The gun had a carriage with sliding riveted beds, rectangular section.Recoil devices, consisting of a hydraulic recoil brake and a hydropneumatic knurler, were placed in a trough-shaped cradle. Lifting mechanism – sector, swivel – screw, with rotation of the upper machine. There was a spring balancing mechanism.
Leveling mechanism – exposed the gun to three points of support (the combat axis was connected to the gun carriage using a longitudinal pin). It was decided to abandon the shield to reduce the mass of the gun. The movement of the carriage had metal wheels made of light alloy, equipped with massive rubber tires. The cannon could be transported as horse-drawn on wheels or runners by one or two horses, and disassembled on 8 horse packs.
When developing the gun, the experience of using artillery guns in the mountains was taken into account. For use in the northern regions, it was envisaged that the gun carriage could be mounted on wide runners (skis). Moreover, on runners, the gun could both fire and be transported over snowy terrain. Since the gun was designed for operation at low temperatures, all the handles, clamps and fastening bolts, which made it possible to quickly disassemble it into parts for transportation in packs, received increased dimensions.
The sight of the mountain gun sample 36 had two scales – in thousandths, from 0 to 1250 thousandths, and a distance scale, from 0 to 1000 m. Compared to the old mountain cannon, sample 15, the firing range of the new gun significantly increased – 9250 m, but the mass of the gun itself increased slightly – up to 750 kg. Therefore, when firing with the maximum (fifth) charge at elevation angles less than 15 °, the Geb.G.36 mountain gun became unstable. Even fire with a cumulative direct-fire projectile was prescribed to be carried out with the use of the 4th charge. The height of the line of fire was 765 mm. The ammunition load of the gun consisted of separate cartridge case loading shots with high-explosive fragmentation and cumulative shells, as well as target designation shells. A 75-mm high-explosive fragmentation grenade (weighing 5.74 kg) was equipped with a head percussion fuse. 5 variable charges were used, with the minimum firing range being 3225 m, and the maximum one being 9250 m.In addition, a 75-mm cannon high-explosive fragmentation grenade and a 75-mm high-explosive fragmentation grenade with a colored smoke-forming composition, equipped with mechanical remote-impact fuses, were used for firing from a mountain gun. The mass of these shells was 5.83 kg. The 75-mm cumulative projectile (weighing 4.40 kg) had a head fuse, instant action. This projectile was fired at tanks on the 4th charge (initial speed 390 m / s) at a range of up to 1000 m. If an armor-piercing projectile pierced armor up to 45 mm thick, then the armor penetration of shaped-charge projectiles (depending on the type of projectile) at an encounter angle of 60 ° ranged from 70 to 100 mm.
Artillery regiments, in the 6 mountain rifle divisions formed at the end of 1940, had two divisions of 75-mm mountain guns Geb.G. 36 (16 guns, 8 each in a division). These guns were widely used on the Eastern Front. The serial production of Geb.G.36 cannons was carried out by R. Wolf (Magdeburg). Their release was mastered in 1939 and continued until mid-1944. A total of 1193 75mm Geb.G.36 mountain guns were produced from 1939 to 1944. By March 1, 1945, the Wehrmacht had 615 of these guns and another 12 were in arsenals.