- Production years-1955-1957
- Total issued-819 units.
- Caliber-85 mm
- Weight in combat position – 2350 kg
- Barrel length-6290 mm
- Length of the threaded part-4900 mm
- Payment – 6 people
- Driving speed-60 km / h
- Rate of fire-15 rounds / min
- Maximum firing range-8400 m
- Direct shot range – 1120 m
- Horizontal – 54°
- Vertical – 6° +35°
85-mm Anti-tank Gun D-48 Details
The D-48 85-mm anti-tank gun was designed at the Design Bureau of Plant No. 9 (Uralmash) under the leadership of F. F. Petrov, using some components and parts of the 85-mm divisional D-44 gun and the 100-mm BS-3 gun of the 1944 model in its design.
The first prototype of the D-48, manufactured by plant No. 9, was handed over to the GAU
on December 31, 1948. Field tests of the D-48 were conducted at the Main Artillery Range in 1949-1950, including comparative tests with the 85-mm S-6-A anti-tank gun, created at the Central Research Institute-58 under the leadership of V. G. Grabin.
According to the results of tests, the D-48 gun was adopted by the Soviet Army in 1953. It was intended to destroy: tanks, self-propelled guns, armored personnel carriers and other armored vehicles of the enemy, as well as to suppress manpower and firepower located outside shelters, in trenches, trenches and light shelters; destroy field defensive structures; fight enemy artillery; destroy light ships and amphibious assault vehicles in the defense of the sea coast. It could be used for shooting at armored columns, embrasures of pillboxes and bunkers.
The D-48 anti-tank gun is a classic long-barreled anti-tank gun with sliding frames, semi-automatic vertical wedge bolt with spring semi-automatic and sprung wheel travel. Its main features include an exceptionally long barrel, the length of which was increased to 74 calibers ( 6290 mm) to ensure the maximum muzzle velocity of the projectile. It is equipped with a multi-window dual-chamber active muzzle brake with an efficiency of 68%. The barrel was connected to the breech by means of a coupling. The vertical wedge bolt with spring semi-automatic was borrowed from the 100-mm anti-tank gun of the 1944 BS-3 model and allowed the rate of firing with a maximum speed of 15 rounds per minute.
Anti-recoil devices (hydraulic recoil brake and hydro-pneumatic knurler) are fixed in the clip above the barrel, similar to a gun
D-44. When fired, they rolled back with the barrel. Also (to the right of the barrel) there was a balancing pneumatic push-type mechanism. The cradle is cast cylindrical. To the left of the barrel, a single-sector lifting and helical rotary mechanism is mounted, with the help of which the gun can be aimed at the target in the vertical plane in the range of angles from -6° to +35° and in the horizontal plane – within an angle of 54°. In its design, the lifting and turning mechanisms are similar to those of the D-44 cannon.
Sighting devices consisted of a mechanical sight S-71-77 with a gun protractor designed to guide the gun during firing from closed firing positions, an optical sight OP2-77 or OP-2-77 – for direct fire and PG-1 gun panoramas. The shield cover consisted of the main shield fixed on the upper machine, and 2 folding shields. On the carrier shield, rigidly fastened to the front and rear armor plates, the lower folding and frame, the rotating part of the gun was located. Significant changes (in comparison with the D-44 gun) have undergone the lower machine gun carriage. Box-type sliding frames with permanent coulters were pivotally attached to its cast body. At the end of the left frame, a subhobot roller was attached to roll the gun over a short distance by the calculation forces. The undercarriage of the gun uses wheels from a ZIS-5 truck with GC tires. In the lower machine of the carriage, a two-wheeled undercarriage of the gun was mounted, which automatically turned off during the separation of the legs. The presence of torsion suspension undercarriage allowed the gun to be towed by army trucks (4×4 or 6×6) or tracked artillery tractors at speeds up to 60 km / h . The height of the firing line was 830 mm .
To transfer the gun from the stowed position to the combat position and back, the crew needed 1.5-2 minutes. The rate of fire of the gun was 8-9 rounds per minute when aimed.
Ammunition for the 85-mm gun included 100 unitary rounds (created specifically for the D-48) with armor – piercing and cumulative shells-to combat armored vehicles; and shots with high-explosive shells with full and reduced charges were used to destroy enemy personnel and firing points located openly. An armor-piercing projectile at a distance of 1,000 m penetrated armor with a thickness of 150/185 mm at an angle of 60° / 90°. The maximum firing range of a high-explosive fragmentation grenade with a full charge was 18970 m, with a reduced charge-14770 m . In 1955, the plant No. 75 in the city of Yurga of the Kemerovo region. mastered mass production
D-48. The D-48 anti-tank gun was in production until 1957. During this time, 819 units were produced, including 100 modified D-48N guns equipped with APN2-77 or APN3-77 night sights.
D-48 anti-tank guns were used by separate anti-tank artillery divisions in motorized rifle and tank regiments
(2 batteries of 6 guns, a total of 12 guns – in the division). D-48 guns were supplied to the armies of all Warsaw Pact member countries. In 1958, most of the structural elements of the D-48 were used in the creation of the world’s first serial smoothbore anti-tank gun T-12 (2A19). However, as an anti-tank weapon, the D-48 gun was immediately obsolete, since with the adoption of the new American main battle tanks M 48A3 and M 60A1 with powerful armor protection in the late 1950s, all the armor penetration capabilities of 85-mm anti-tank guns were already exhausted.