Allison V-1710 Aircraft Engine Technical Specifications
- Working volume-28 l
- Compression ratio-6.5
- Weight-650 kg
- Length-744 mm
- Height-928 mm
- Cylinder diameter-139.7 mm
- Take-off power – 1165 hp
Allison V-1710 Aircraft Engine Details
The first aircraft engine for the US Army Air Force was developed by Allison in 1924. It was an experimental 24-cylinder air-cooled engine with an X-shaped cylinder arrangement; the cylinder displacement was 74,000 cm3. The engine developed a power of more than 1200 hp. For that time, this power was extremely large, and when the engine was started on an experimental stand, it even knocked out part of the building wall. In 1929, a year after General Motors bought the Allison Engineering Company, construction began on the V-1710 liquid-cooled piston engine. The company was assigned the task of creating an engine with a power of 1000 hp. In 1932, a 50-hour test of the V-1710 engine was conducted at a power of 650 hp. In the same year, the Navy received the first V-1710 engine.
However, all attempts to create an engine with even higher power invariably failed. Finally, in the spring of 1936, a new engine was delivered to Wright Field for testing, and its design and construction took only 90 days. The engine successfully passed the 140-hour test; only one of the cylinder heads developed a crack. The cracked part was carefully examined and redesigned. In 1937, the Allison V-1710 engine successfully passed the 1000 hp power test. After the Allison-engined Curtiss P-40 fighter won the Army Air Force Award in 1939, Allison received its first major order.
Production of V-1710 engines began in February 1940, and during December 1941, 1000 engines were already produced. Many of the 3,500 engines already built were used by the British in combat operations in Africa and by the American Volunteer air group in China.
After the attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941, accelerated design of new, more powerful engines began. For a certain period of time, the engine model was changed every 40 days, and even when switching to a new model, the output was at least 60% of the production capacity.
Parallel to the growth of Allison’s operations, the expansion of its factories was underway. All existing plants were expanded, and in 1942 construction of a new plant with a production area of 185,800 square meters was started. It was factory No. 5 in Maywood, Indiana.
In 1943, the maximum production level was reached-2100 engines per month. By the end of the war, the Allison company had built 70,000 liquid-cooled engines, and the V-1710 engine, which had a power of 1000 hp in 1937, after a number of improvements, began to give a take-off power of 1600 hp and a forced power of over 2000 liters.
Externally, Allison engines were distinguished by the presence of its own drive centrifugal supercharger, which significantly improved the high-altitude characteristics of the engine, and the V-1710-111 (113) with a take-off power of 1600 hp, was produced in two versions V-1710-F 30L and V-1710-F 30R, which differed from each other by the changed direction of rotation of the propeller. This was done to reduce the turbulence of the flow over the tail unit. The Allison V-1710 aircraft engine was installed on USAF fighters: Curtiss R-40 Tomahawk; Bell R-39 Aerocobra; North American P-51 Mustang and Bell P-63 Kingcobra.
The Allison aircraft engine was discovered on Shumshu Island (Kuril Islands) and donated to the museum by the head of the Aviation Restoration Group LLC O. Y. Leiko in 2001.