In this article we will tell you what are the keys to B2B ecommerce and what factors must be taken into account to adapt a business.
When thinking about e-commerce, the most common is to do it with individuals who buy their products through the Internet. However, there are also companies that trade online with other companies. This is what is known as B2B e-commerce, and it is one of the sectors that offers the most opportunities today.
What is B2B ecommerce ?
B2B electronic commerce is a type of commerce that is characterized by being carried out between companies. In fact, B2B means “business to business” . That is, “from business to business.” This type of commerce is the one that is established when a company sells its products to another company, which will be the one that will later sell them to a final consumer (in which case we speak of B2C or “business to costumer” , as for example happens with the supermarkets or retail stores).
Differences between B2B and B2C e-commerce
The main difference between B2B and B2C e-commerce is in the message that is issued to capture the attention of the potential buyer. While in the case of B2C businesses the message will seek a greater impact on the emotional side or on the benefits that the product brings, when it comes to a B2B sale the message should focus both on the characteristics of the product itself and on the price .
In this sense, it must be borne in mind that a B2B buyer does not buy for himself, but for his company. In other words, the search for economic benefits is a factor that plays a leading role. Therefore, both the price and the characteristics of the product outweigh the direct benefits that will be obtained from its use.
Potential benefits of B2B e-commerce
Although B2B commerce can be found both online and offline, electronic commerce has a number of additional benefits compared to offline that should be taken into account.
- Larger potential buyers : One of the main advantages that B2B e-commerce offers compared to its offline version is that online allows you to reach a much larger market of potential customers. In fact, being an online business, sales can be carried out globally, which, inevitably, implies a greater volume of business and, with it, profits.
- Lower cost of marketing and infrastructure : On the other hand, B2B e-commerce requires less investment in both marketing and infrastructure to maintain the business. In this way, in addition to having access to more customers, the fixed cost of running the business is considerably reduced.
- It is not exclusive of B2B offline : Finally, another of the most important advantages that must be taken into account when talking about B2B electronic commerce is that it is not exclusive of offline commerce. In fact, an offline B2B company can maintain its traditional sales approach and, at the same time, bet on digitization as a way to expand its business. And, if you consider it appropriate in the future, keep only the online part.
Important factors to consider in B2B e-commerce
However, although B2B e-commerce offers important advantages compared to its offline version, it is also important that it has certain elements that characterize this type of business. Some of the most important are the following:
- The sales page is the showcase : Since the activity of a B2B company that operates online is carried out on the Internet, its sales website is also its showcase. For this reason, it is important to adapt it to the needs of customers and, above all, to make it attractive, as well as easy and comfortable to use.
- Optimized customer area : Also, because B2B sales are usually very loyal, it is important that customers have their optimized private area. Or, in other words, that each client has their personal account on the B2B seller’s page and does not have to enter their purchase data every time they want to place a new order. This, in addition to streamlining the sales processes, also contributes to giving a better image by favoring customer comfort.
- Sales adapted to wholesale trade : Another element that must be taken into account in B2B e-commerce is that the quantities and sales volumes are adapted to the business directed at companies. It should not be forgotten that the target audience is not the retail market but the wholesale market. For this reason, it is essential that the products are sold in batches adapted to your most specific and common needs.
- Having solutions adapted to e-commerce : Finally, it is important to have solutions adapted to e-commerce . Especially in the aspects related to business logistics , since they will be the ones that allow the product to reach the buyer and, at the same time, will directly affect the shopping experience .
As you can see, B2B e-commerce has certain similarities with B2C commerce. However, it also has its particular characteristics that make it important to adapt the business to the needs of the sector. In this way, you will ensure better business performance and more satisfied customers.