M-105 Aircraft Engine Technical Specifications
- Working volume-35.08 l
- Compression ratio-7.10
- Power – 1050 hp
- Weight-600 kg
- Length-798 mm
- Height-941 mm
- Cylinder diameter-148 mm
- Take-off power – 1100 hp
Aircraft Engine Details
Aviation V-shaped 12-cylinder water-cooled four-stroke piston engine, manufactured in 1940, which was installed on the Yak-1, Yak-7 and LaGG-3 fighter aircraft. The M-105 engine was found on the battlefield in the Murmansk region and donated to the museum by the head of the Aviation Restoration Group LLC, O. Y. Leiko.
Aircraft engines of the A. A. Mikulin Design Bureau
In the Design Bureau of A. A. Mikulin in 1940-1941, on the basis of the AM – 35 high-altitude engine with a take-off power of 1,350 hp (designed for MiG-3 fighter aircraft), several new aircraft engines were developed. The use of the AM-35 engine on the Il-2 prototype, the BSH-2 attack aircraft, showed that high-altitude characteristics for aircraft of this purpose are superfluous. Therefore, on the basis of the AM-35, a special engine is being created for the Il-2 with a reduced design height to 1,650 m; increased take-off power to 1,600 hp and rated power on the ground of 1,500 hp.
The new engine received the designation “AM-38”. Its use on Il-2 attack aircraft provided an increase in speed, maneuverability and combat load. During the Great Patriotic War, the AM-38 engine became the most necessary of all the engines of the A. A. Mikulin Design Bureau. At the beginning of the war, when the Ilyushin attack aircraft was launched in series, this required a significant increase in engine production, but due to the evacuation of several engine-building plants (including the Moscow Plant No. 24, which produced the AM-35A, AM-37 and AM-38 engines), it was practically impossible to ensure their production. Therefore, to provide the Il-2 attack aircraft with engines at the end of 1941, a difficult decision was made – to remove the AM-35A engines from production and concentrate the efforts of serial plants No. 24 named after them. Frunze (Kuibyshev) and No. 45 (Moscow) at the production of the AM-38, and the A. A. Mikulin Design Bureau at its improvement.
The AM-38 aircraft engine differed from the AM-35 and AM-35A engines with a reinforced crankcase due to increased loads; a reduced compression ratio (6,8 instead of 7,0); a new drive centrifugal supercharger (with a reduced transmission to the impeller of 11,05, instead of 14,6 u – AM-35A); modified oil systems and cooling systems to ensure reliable operation of the engine with some insufficiency of oil and water radiators located in tight armored compartments of the aircraft. The AM-35A engines launched in the series and the AM-37s being developed, as well as their modifications, were discontinued, and the aircraft on which they were mounted were ordered to be converted to other engines or stop their production. Nevertheless, the Mikulin Design Bureau continuously worked to improve not only the AM-38,but also other prototype engines, fine-tuning components and parts. However, the work on engines for Il-2 attack aircraft has become the main one. For the two-seat version of the IL-2, at the beginning of 1942, the AM-38F (forced) engine was created, which, with less power at altitudes than the AM-38, had an increased take-off power by 100 hp and the ability to work for 10 minutes on take – off mode in the altitude range of 0-1.5 km (the so-called “combat mode”). In order not to increase the octane number of fuel (since the supply of high-octane fuel to the Soviet Air Force during the war years was extremely problematic), the compression ratio was reduced in this engine model (6.0-instead of 6.8), the number of revolutions increased during take-off mode (2350-instead of 2150) and the boost was slightly increased at a lower altitude. Also, in comparison with the control center of the AM-38 motor, the diameter of the impeller of the drive centrifugal supercharger was reduced.
The famous Ilyushin Il-2″ flying tanks ” went through the entire Great Patriotic War, writing many glorious pages in its annals, which was greatly facilitated by the Mikulin AM-38 and AM-38F engines.
In total, the Soviet aircraft industry received in 1938-1945 more than 50,000 aircraft engines developed in the Design Bureau of A. A. Mikulin, and the supply of engines to ensure the production of aircraft was: before the war-about 8,000, during the Great Patriotic War and after it – more than 41,000 units.
An open area in the Air Force exposition of the Central Museum of the Great Patriotic War exhibits a motor designed by A. A. Mikulin: