Currently, social commerce is an excellent growth opportunity for brands, considering that social networks have become increasingly important in the digital world. In fact, the Digital 2020 – Chile study carried out by Hootsuite, has identified that among the most visited web pages in Chile are YouTube (2nd place), Facebook (3rd place), Twitter (7th place) and Instagram (8th place); while worldwide WhatsApp and Facebook applications are the most downloaded.
Due to the rise of these platforms, e-commerce in social networks is gaining a very good valuation by users, who no longer have to go to an external marketplace such as Amazon or Mercado Libre to buy the products that interest them. that these purchases can be made through the social commerce of the social networks they use.
Definition of social commerce
The social commerce or social commerce is one of the biggest trends in e – commerce , and involves the use of social networks as product sales channels. This form of online commerce takes advantage of the interactivity and massification of social networks to improve the shopping experience for customers and increase the reach of brands.
Characteristics of social commerce
The different characteristics of social commerce favor the processes of buying / selling products and services, thus promoting supply and demand in the online market , a very important aspect considering that, today, almost everything is online .
In this sense, the main characteristics of social commerce are:
- Social connectivity: social platforms have built large networks of contacts connected to each other, to which you can send the offer of your products through different techniques such as advertising, hashtags, mentions, among many others.
- Versatility: the social commerce can be implemented both brands offline who want to enter the market online , for those that are native digital, such as business type dark kitchen and dark store .
- Massive reach : social networks have a global reach, so you can reach all types of audiences anywhere in the world, simply with one publication.
- Segmentation: although audiences on social networks are global, these platforms allow you to carry out very precise segmentations to execute social commerce projects based on different filters (age, gender, interests, professions, habits, geographical areas, etc.).
- More interactivity: the social commerce is one of the few methods that allow potential customers can interact directly with brands online , such as this through direct messages and comments in publications.
Examples of social commerce
Currently, the main social networks have already developed a space on their platforms dedicated exclusively to electronic commerce. Thus, some examples of social commerce are:
- Facebook stores : these are social commerce stores within Facebook , where brands can publish their product catalog, create collections and personalize their e-commerce on Facebook for free, with designs and creative tools.
- Instagram Shopping : Instagram stores for social commerce allow brands to personalize the shopping experience, publish their products and services (with their prices and characteristics), and give them greater visibility through feed and stories. Keep in mind that 70% of active shoppers use Instagram to discover products .
- WhatsApp Business : it is the business version of the WhatsApp messaging app. This version has functions that allow you to promote the offer of products and services. Among its tools are labels (to identify each chat), the catalog (to show products and services), among others.
- YouTube : this social network has launched a library of promotional articles , in which channels that meet the eligibility conditions and policies will be able to offer their products and services on the platform.
How to improve social commerce strategies?
Here are some tips to improve your sales through social commerce :
- Multimedia files: take advantage of visual content in all its formats (photos, videos, gifs, among others) to enhance brand communication and give your innovative products greater visibility .
- Paid advertising: boost your publications with higher performance through paid promotions, this will allow you to reach highly targeted potential customers and attract new followers.
- Home deliveries : an increase in sales implies a greater number of deliveries. Therefore, it is necessary to optimize transport logistics. In this sense, monitoring deliveries to proactively resolve problems is a good solution, which also applies to reverse logistics when order returns occur.
- Customer service: home delivery is decisive for the success of social commerce , since it is practically the only direct point of contact that the brand has with the online buyer . Therefore, it is necessary that you keep the customer informed about the status of their order, in order to avoid their uncertainty and improve their shopping experience.
In short, one of the most complicated stages of social commerce is the logistics of home delivery, since it is up to the carrier to reach the correct destination, in the indicated time, and with the product in good condition. However, the company can get involved in the delivery processes by implementing specialized tools in the optimization of logistics transport.