Wright Cyclone R 2600 Aircraft Engine Technical Details
- Working volume-29.8 liters
- Compression ratio-6.4
- Weight-595 kg
- Diameter-1400 mm
- Cylinder diameter-174.6 mm
- Take-off power – 1400 hp
Wright Cyclone R 2600 Aircraft Engine
In 1909, the world-famous pioneers of aviation, the American brothers Wilbur and Orville Wright, founded the company for the production of aircraft engines.
Initially, they produced small engines with a capacity of 30 and 50 hp. At the beginning of 1916, the company “Wright”, merged by this time with the company “Martin” in the general company “Martin-Wright”, acquired a French license for the production of engines “Hispano-Suiza” with a capacity of 150 hp.
Over the next few years, the Americans were engaged in the development and improvement of this type of engine. The last modifications of the H series, produced since 1917, reached a power of 400 hp. The number of Wright engines produced in the final years of the First World War was quite large, they continued to be actively used until 1924.
Since 1919, the new “Wrights” have little in common with the French prototype. Designated “Wright-T” (“Wright-Tornado”), the engines quickly pass the stage of experimental work. Since 1923, the Wright T-2 with a capacity of 530 hp has been in operation.
Note that all of the above aircraft engines were inline, water-cooled. The company continued to improve them and in the following years achieved significant success in this area. The power of the Wright T-3 tested in 1923 increased to 600 hp. Further modernization of the T-3 makes it one of the most advanced models of engine construction in the early 1920s.
Nevertheless, the most famous company “Wright” brought star-shaped (radial) air-cooled engines, the spread and success of which in aviation of those years was only planned. For their development, the company attracted the famous designer Lawrence, who had been working in this field since 1914.
The first 230 hp Wright J-1 air-cooled engine was manufactured and tested in 1921. The success of the 50-hour test served as a starting point for the further development of a whole series of engines, which received the name “Wildwind”.
At the same time, work was underway to create high-power air-cooled engines. In 1925, the result of this activity was the appearance of the Wright R-1 Cyclone with a capacity of 435 hp, and soon after it – a similar R-2 with a capacity of 345 hp. A special feature of the latter was the reduced dimensions for installation on deck aircraft.
In 1927, the company produced five different models of aircraft engines. In May of the same year, American pilot Charles Lindbergh flew across the Atlantic Ocean on the Spirit of St. Louis plane, equipped with a 225 hp Wright-Wyrlwind J-5 engine. The huge popularity of the flight created an unprecedented fame for the engine. Demand for the company’s products has increased enormously. The result was the discontinuation of all other engine types except the J-5 and the Wright-Zyklon R-1750.
The capacity of the plants was doubled. In order to further expand production in the period 1928-1929, the company merged with Curtiss into one powerful concern – Curtiss Wright Corporation. In 1932-1933, Soviet representatives from the Red Army Air Force held negotiations with the Curtiss – Wright company, which resulted in the acquisition of an entire engine-building plant with all the equipment and licenses for the production of 625 hp Cyclone R-1820 F-3 engines.The city of Perm in the Urals was chosen as the location of the new plant, which received serial number 19.
A.D. Shvetsov was appointed chief designer during the development and production of Wright-Zyklon. He participated in the purchase of engines in America, and later engaged in their development and improvement. Initially, the engines were assembled from American parts, and in 1935 the company fully mastered the production of “Cyclones”. By the end of this year, 660 engines were produced, which in accordance with the Soviet system of designations were called M-25.
In 1935, the company began work on a more powerful version of its successful Cyclone R-1820 engine. As a result, in 1941, the R-2600 Twin Cyclone appeared, with 14 cylinders arranged in two rows with a power of 1,600 hp.The R-2600-3 was originally intended for the C-46 Commando transport aircraft and was installed on the prototype of the CW-20A Demon fighter. The engine was one of the mass-produced American air-cooled engines of the periodDuring the Second World War and served onthe A-20 Havoc , B-25 Mitchell , TBF Avenger and SB2C Helldiver bombers, and the flying boat PBM Mariner. More than 50,000 R-2600 engines were produced in factories in the United States until the early 50s.
The Wright Cyclone aircraft engine was discovered on Shumshu Island (Kuril Islands) and donated to the museum by the head of the Aviation Restoration Group LLC O. Y. Leiko in 2001.